Monday, January 30, 2017

Have You Seen Our Gingerbread Man?

First Grade Students have been searching for their runaway Gingerbread Man! Their gingerbread project is an extension of their language arts and social studies lessons. Students have been learning about different states/regions of the United States.

Earlier this year, the following letter was sent around the U.S. in hopes of finding their lost friend! 

Hi,

I am the Gingerbread Man.  My friend, _______________, was reading a story about me in first grade.  I decided to jump out of the storybook and come to visit you!  I know my friends back at Missouri Valley Elementary are wondering where I have run off to.  Please help them by sending a postcard depicting something about the area where you live.  I have included our mailing address to write on the card.  This postcard will be posted on a large map of the U.S. in the classroom.  This will help the children with their study of the United States by showing them different parts of our great country!   I know my friends will enjoy hearing from you and learning where I have run to! Thank you for your help.  Got to go!

Sincerely,

The Gingerbread Man



First grade students have been receiving postcards from across the U.S. and have been so excited each time a postcard arrives. 


Some of our students students weighed in on this experience...

"I like the Gingerbread Man the best! He is cute! I like doing it because the project is fun!"

"I liked making the Gingerbread Man and I liked giving it to my grandma and grandpa." 

"I have learned that some people speak different languages!"

"My Gingerbread Man went to Alaska! I like learning about different states!"





Standards

Language Arts:

  • Compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in stories.         
  • Explain major differences between books that tell stories and books that give information, drawing on a wide reading of a range of text types.


Social Studies:
  •  Essential Concept and/or Skill: Understand the use of geographic tools to locate and analyze information about people, places, and environments.